A few days ago, a video of Aretha Franklin went viral. It’s pretty awesome.
Carole King was being honored with a Kennedy Center Award and Aretha Franklin came to perform “Natural Woman”, which was co-written by Carole King.
The performance is pretty mind-blowing. compared to her younger years, you could say that Aretha may have lost some of the power in her voice, but she’s lost none of the ability to command a stage and bring an audience to its feet.
For the past couple of days, I’ve been thinking about writing this post but it’s been tricky. When I think about 2015, the best way to describe how I feel about it is “meh”.
There were some really cool things that happened, but also some kind of dark months. There were goals accomplished, but also many goals that didn’t get the attention they deserved and stagnated.
Like I said, a bit “meh”.
I don’t like to dwell on the negative, so let’s focus on the positive:
- I was able to continue to help serving at my church. Being on the media team allows me to use my skills for good. Plus, we put on a pretty cool Veterans’ Day event, and I was also able to help with some social media consulting.
- I received a promotion at work that has been challenging and an interesting learning experience.
- Speaking of work, we did some amazing things for our clients in 2015.
- I launched a new blog, which gives me a place to put all my thoughts about genealogy and family history.
- I had huge momentum on a special project I’m working on.
- I finally got some answers on some health stuff that’s been impacting my life.
What I’m looking forward to in 2016:
- “Working” a bit less and focusing on me a bit more. While I love my “day job”, it took up way too much of my time and energy in 2015. I’m hoping to find some balance between doing amazing things in a 40 hour work week and leaving more time for things that will move me forward.
- Launching my new special project.
- Spending time in with Bob Goff and friends in March.
- Speaking at the Nonprofit Technology Conference in March.
- Hopefully spending time with the misfits in May.
- Getting my application submitted for the Daughters of the American Revolution.
- Continuing to serve at my church and find ways to serve more in the community.
I hope everyone has a wonderful start to 2016.