Charity J is my great, great grandmother. She was born about 1827 in Virginia and died June 18, 1996. She was married to Archibald Gosnell and they had one child.
What I know:
- Charity was married in 1862 to Archibald Gosnell.
- She died in 1896.
What I don’t know:
- I have not been able to find much information about Charity J before her marriage to Archibald Gosnell.
- I don’t have a specific birth date or birth place.
Archibald M Gosnell is my great, great grandfather. He was born May 1828 in Lawrence, Tennessee and died July 12, 1906. On some records he’s listed as Archelaus Gosnell.
He was married three times: Sarah J. Carter was his first wife; Charity J was his second wife (and my great, great grandmother), and Louisa W. Snow was his third wife.
What I know:
- He was born in Tennessee and lived in Missouri for awhile. After the Civil War, he moved to Arkansas. He lived in Arkansas until his death.
- He served in the 5th Regiment Infantry of the Missouri State Guard during the Civil War: Link to his war record is here.
Florence Alabama Warren Gosnell is my great grandmother. On almost every record she is listed as Allie. She was born February 15, 1876 in Berryville, Arkansas and died May 5, 1953 in Orland, California.
What I know …
- When Allie was 18, she married Amos William Phillips. They had 13 children together. She never remarried after Amos died and raised several young children on her own.
- She grew up in Arkansas and moved to Texas and Oklahoma with her husband. In the mid-1930s, she moved to live with one of her children in California. She lived in California until she died in 1953.
- As her obituary states, when she died she had 41 living grandchildren, 47 great grandchildren and 1 great, great grandchild.
What I’d like to know …
- There is some information online that Allie was adopted by the Gosnell family and that she may have been Native American. The 1880 census shows Allie living with the Gosnell family as a boarder.
The obituary from the The Orland Register, Orland, Glenn County, California
Thursday, May 7, 1953
Services Friday for Florence Phillips Mrs. Florence Allie Phillips, for the past two years a resident of Orland, died Tuesday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Lona Tarrant, southwest of Orland. Mrs. Phillips was born February 15, 1876, at Berryville, Arkansas. She is survived by the following children: Mrs. Lona Tarrant and Mrs. Vena DeRosier, both of Orland; Vernon Phillips, Lee Phillips and Amos Phillips, all of Oroville; Joe Phillips, Weed; Mrs. Frances Bramlett, Quincy; Mrs. Velva Ballard, Weed; Ethal W. Phillips, Richmond; Orval Phillips, Milton, Indiana; Mrs. Cena Snyder, Peru, Nebraska; Bert Phillips, Olivehurst; 41 grandchildren, 47 great grandchildren and 1 great great grandchild.